Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mental Tricks

Some days I really don't feel like training. I wake up in the morning and I am thinking about the session I have looming over my head...I know it is not going to be fun, I tell myself that it is not here yet... worry about it later... That usually works until about Lunch time... It is funny, I seem to get crazy around feeding time... Sometimes I tell myself that I will skip lunch and that way i will be able to get my sets behind me earlier... If I am not careful, this could be a tragic mistake. If I do not make myself eat at midday.. I will have to eat later.. close to training time and I find it best to train with a pretty empty stomach.. Like 3 hours after I eat seems perfect... So another trick is to make sure I eat a good lunch, nothing crazy or unusual... Simple is best, and eating a little less than I normally do is also a good Idea...
After lunch I feel better about training and I can relax a little bit...I like to have a cup of coffee in the afternoon to give me a little boost before training, this helps... But again I need to pay attention to the time, after 3 O'clock and it will effect my sleep...
My sets are getting closer, and closer, When I get in the house.. (I train at home) I get right into my lifting clothes... Despite the feelings of... "this is going to suck" thoughts that are swarming around my cerebral cortex.... I tell myself that I am just putting my shoes on... it is all part of it, This is not hard yet... Relax... We're all friends here... I then go into my room with my ipod.. I put on some kind of music and start moving around... I am in my training room, I have my stuff on, and maybe my head is still not right.. I do some stretching, this feels good, I do some jogging in place, this heats me up a little... I pick up a light Kettlebell... This feels good... My head is now relaxed, I am doing what I like to do... I warm up and start to think about my main sets... Now I am less afraid and more excited... My shirt now has some sweat on it... I have gotten the creaks out of my shoulders and Elbows... I am chalking my hands and setting my clock... I still have some fear, but what the hell.. I'm in my costume and I stink....might as well jump all the way in now...

2 comments:

  1. I asked Valery once if he used to get nervous before training and he said yes he did, because he knew how hard it was going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touche' CDuff ! I've always thought this sport was a big head game. (Wouldn't be any fun if it wasn't )

    ReplyDelete