Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Just so you know... You don't need to know...

I was talking to my brother today and I asked him a question that he didn't want to answer, so he told me "just so you know, you don't need to know".... I thought it was pretty funny...
I remember along time ago, I was into mountain bike racing... Anyway I just loved to ride in the woods with my friends and jump over stuff and what not.. I knew exactly zero about how to train for this sport, I had never heard of peaking, periodization, intervals, lactic threshold, anaerobic, aerobic engery systems..."A" races "B" races, Nothing.. I just jumped on my bike and rode... Alot.. If I saw people on the trail I would try to catch them and pass them.. No hard days no easy days.. I didn't know and I didn't care... I got very fit and pretty fast, (for me)
So after a pretty good season of racing , I talked to an experienced bike racer that started talking to me about all the things I mentioned above... He recommended a book called the cyclists training bible by Joel Friel... ( great book, tons of info)I was excited to improve with my newfound Information... I started reading about how to train, different energy systems, lactic threshold intervals, muscle endurance intervals, VO2 max intervals, fartlek intervals....CNS, All the different HR zones... How to peak for the big races...Oh boy, I feel myself getting faster..
That didnt Happen., What did happen was I got seriously confused.. When I would go on group rides I would lay back if it was supposed to be an easy day or o wouldn't go if I had a hard day with a lot of structured work to do... Bottomline... I screwed myself up reading and figuring when I should have been riding my ass off...and having fun..
I see people doing the same thing with kettlebell training, they study this system, they read this article, they read training logs and then from the sidelines, try to connect the dots... It won't work! It is like trying to learn how to shoot a gun by reading it in a book.... Gotta feel it...

3 comments:

  1. Don't lie CDuff we all know you are hiding something. Is it spinach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... I confess, it is spinach...haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said!
    See a similar viewpoint of mine on this topic:
    http://primalstrengthandfitness.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-is-proper-form.html

    ReplyDelete