Total Pageviews

Monday, March 14, 2011

Im Glad that Nobody listens to me

I have an 8 year old Nephew. He is very athletically gifted and a fierce competitor. Until last year, he played t ball and then coach pitched baseball and soccer... Somehow he got interested in Hockey... He couldn't skate that good, (meaning, he could barely skate and couldn't stop unless he crashed into something) I went to a see him skate last summer and it was painful... I told my Brother that Hockey is a terrible sport to get your kid in... a stick costs 250 bucks, skates 500 bucks... The strange practice times..
I kept telling him to get out now before he gets in too deep...
Well, I have been hearing about how this Kid is really doing well and all that, but you cannot believe a parent of little star, so I went to see this for myself last saturday...
I had forgotten how cold rinks get.. anyway I watched my nephew skate and he is totally different cat out there.. Not only can he skate he has an awareness of the game that is above his peers.. he scored 2 goals and had at least 5 solid (well placed) shots on goal, he hustled back to play defense and basically was a big part of handing an undefeated team their first Loss... I was seriously proven Incorrect..
I have seen plenty of talented Kb lifters with tons of talent and ability that just didnt have the burning desire to play the game and do what it takes to improve... I am always amazed at who makes it in sports and who doesn't.. You cannot spot desire, or character... a lesson I learned from an 8 year old last weekend...
I am really happy my Brother didn't listen to me again!!

3 comments: