Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Best Grip Tip

Relax, For most people the weakest link on snatches is the grip. Once the grip goes, you are toast. I have seen ultra fit people flop way earlier than they should have because of the grip failure. I am not going to give you all kinds of clever grip building exercises to help. The reason for early grip failure more often than not is OVERGRIPPING the bell. That means you are using too much force, too quickly, which leads to early finish.
I have seen some unreal snatch sets done by high level guys, what amazes me is that the chalk on the bell is still perfect afterward. I saw Valery Fedorenko do 150/150 snatches in 20 minutes with the 24kg and he didn't wear any chalk off of the bell. Ivan Denisov snatched a 24kg KB for 35 minutes straight 730 reps with one hand change and his hands looked perfect afterward.

It is clear to me now that the key is not specifically increasing grip strength that really helps, it is grabbing the handle as gently as possible that is Key. Imagine that you are catching an egg. Your grip will last longer that way.

3 comments:

  1. Very good tip, CDuff - it amazes me how much the top lifters can control things like their grip and breathing. Did you mean 32kg for Fed's 150/150 snatches?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily
    I was not thinking about the 32kg set, the cert that I went to 2007, he did it with a 24kg. The 32kg set is just bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Tip Chris. My forearms are prone to turning Popeye-esque due to over-gripping. I'll work on it and hopefully it will help me reach the longer times.

    ReplyDelete