Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 3, 2011

30 day challenge

Ok so here is the deal... For 30 days straight.. No rest days or off days... I am going to drag my fat ass around the pond behind my house. It is a nice trail that is about 3 miles long. My goal is simple, jog ,walk, crawl, hop... whatever it takes to get around it for 30 days..I have no idea how I came up with this time frame.. I guess it comes from knowing that it is going to take at least that long to have any real effect on my overall fitness level.. The 30 days is a manageable goal. Basically it is a trick designed by me for me to trick me into doing this... Today is day 6... First day it was kind of exciting because I have never been around this pond before... It started to look more Like a lake actually... funny how that works.. I started thinking what's the difference between a pond and a lake? WHo gets to decide this? Day 2 little stiff, but went with my girlfriend and we jogged most of the way, I was really stiff the next day, Getting out of bed was pretty comical... Day 3 I went alone and had all kinds of unfriendly internal dialogue, I just ignored the noise and keep walking... it is a bout 8/10ths of a mile to get to the train... By the time I reached the trail I was feeling loose and jogged the whole way in the woods... Day 4.. miserable.. Definitely feeling busted up from the day before... It snowed enough to have to wear boots... This was a forced march that pretty much sucked... Day 5, I went again with my girlfriend and suffered my way around... I had been sick the night before and forced myself to get it done... So today is day 6... Gotta get out there... Have a good day!

7 comments:

  1. Chris --

    Tried and true approach: run/jog 30 seconds. walk one minute. Repeat. Over and over.

    When that feels good, go 30 seconds run/jog, 30 seconds walk. Repeat.

    Then 1 minute run/jog, 30 seconds walk. Then 90 on, 30 off. Two on, 30 off. Etc...you get the idea.

    Very common, very simple approach to reaching your goal. Listen to your body, and before you know it, you'll be cruising around that pond comfortably and quickly. The structure allows you to build on and appreciate your progress.

    I may not know jack about sport lifting, but I spent many years running semi-competitively while coaching/helping young runners of all types. Anyone can enjoy massive improvement in running performance. The key is to minimize the risk of downtime from doing too much too soon.

    Have fun --

    JAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jay! Great information..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bells first.. Then the loop...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be rooting for ya. When it starts to get easy I'll loan you my weight vest ; ) Just keep walkin/running and sayin "yur alright" and "keep breathin"

    ReplyDelete