Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2011

Structure

I used to think that the height of training intelligence was to have the path of no path... Ya know,  adapt like a shadow, respond like an echo? There are many successful approaches that promote, in fact insist on keeping your body and system confused. I am not talking about the difference between GPP (general physical preparedness) and SPP (sport specific preparation). What I'm talking about is being in a sports specific phase and relying on dead reckoning navigation to get me where I want to go.

What works for me is having my sessions planned out long before I get into my workout room. I base this on the previous week and how that went. If it was easy last week, I kick it up a notch. If I had a hard time and barely got it done, I might try to repeat the session and see if I can do it better than the week before.

Having a structured training plan that is specific to my goals, and based on my real numbers really helps me get through some rough sessions. I tell myself, just do what it says on the paper. This takes a lot of the internal turmoil out of my head,



2 comments:

  1. This takes a lot of the internal turmoil out of my head, amongst the thousands and thousands triple decker bacon cheeseburgers i massacred over the years as a young adult and into my 40's.

    ReplyDelete