Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chalk up!

Now that the weather has changed around here, knowing how to use chalk effectively can be a real benefit.
There is nothing more frustrating than tearing a hole in your hand out of the blue. Correctly applying chalk to the handle is a skill that pays to learn. It really can make a big difference if you are going to do a lot of reps. 
One of the most common mistakes I see is people using too much water, this can end up looking like a drunk guy baking a cake... If you use a ton of water and them add chalk, you get a batter/paste like substance that will not stay on the handle very long. This defeats the whole purpose of chalk.

The best way to apply chalk is first, clean the old chalk off the handle using either sandpaper or a wet rag. I then allow the handle to air dry... Now my goal is to get the first layer (base) on the handle. I will sometimes spray a very small amount of water onto my right hand... When I chalk I use one hand to work the chalk onto the handle and the other hand to feed the working hand and hold the bell. I start rubbing the handle to get it a little bit warm...( this is key) then I use the heel of my right hand to start applying the chalk with pressure and friction. I usually start on the top of the handle and work around the corners..  The most important part is under the handle, so I start working that area next.  I spin the bell around so that I cover from all angles... Once the chalk starts to grab the handle,  I make sure to cover all areas that need chalk...  Think about applying it in layers... 

I use a rubbermaid container with high sides to do my chalking in, this works pretty good for keeping the chalk contained. Like anything, this is a skill that needs to be practiced...

If you are having trouble getting it right, this will help... and the 9 bucks is cheaper than ripping your hand and missing a week and half of training....Chalking Video

No comments:

Post a Comment