Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cause and effect

It is very easy to get confused when it comes to improving anything. I remember I went golfing with a friend of mine that was a pretty good golfer. I had never played for real and was just out there having fun. I didn't have the right equipment or shoes or whatever else you need to fit in out there.. I started out hitting the ball great! My friend was amazed, he was hitting the ball like crap... Well after a few holes, my luck started to run out, but I was having fun in spite of this. My well meaning friend started to "help" me with my swing.."keep your chin down" "Don't over grip the club" "relax" "follow through the ball" "spread your stance" "bend your knees" "don't forget to breathe", you get the idea.... So pretty soon I was all screwed up... I mean way worse than when I started and now there was tension and animosity in the air... Things unravelled to the point that I was miserable and so was he... I never got asked to go golfing again...

When I am Coaching somebody, I watch what is happening and I do not try to address all problems... That is very easy to do and some coaches think it is a great help. Really what this is about is EGO... they are flexing their ego to show you how much they know, and you don't... They make you so confused uncovering problems you may or may not have... This over coaching is worse than no help at all.

Understanding the differences between cause and effect, requires a strong knowledge of the principles at work here. Teaching a person the correct principles of moving the kettlebell is far more helpful than chasing down each individual problem and micro managing them on the superficial level... It is like trying to load Bullfrogs into a wheelbarrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment