Total Pageviews

Monday, July 4, 2011

Pre- made excuses

I used to go Mountain Biking with a friend of mine. If we hooked up with other riders out on the trail, he would immediately start informing these complete strangers how little he has been training or how his bike was running like shit. He basically would announce that he was not a threat to them in anyway due to things out of his control and his lack of fitness. If the guys rode fast and my friend held up the group, he would be like "see, I told you", or if they were slower than him he would be like, I can't believe how fast I'm going, this is highly unusual!

This behavior is used to psych out the other guys by lulling them into a sense of complacency. They are hearing excuses and apologies before we even start rolling. After we get going a much different dude is riding his bike than the one he described to our new found friends. This is called a meta-communication, you say one thing, but it means something completely different!

I see this type if behavior before Kettelebell meets also, people are always talking about how they expect to tank, they have been sick, they have jet lag, they had to make weight, or maybe the back or knee or neck is hurting them... Age is another one.. Too old! Keep your eye on the old guys, they always let you know old they are and whatnot... Haha! These things are exposed to you even though you don't ask, then if they choke... it proves they were telling you the truth... They look at you like,"Oh well What do you want from me"?  If they do well, it happened in spite of all there problems!

The broadcasting of Pre-made excuses is the tactic of a coward. It keeps them
safe from the upsetting experience of giving 100% and getting beat fair and square! Don't buy the Pre made excuses.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post and accurate observations :-). In some cases, I think it has a lot to do with superstition and not tempting fate as well. That I find ok, but using it consciously as a competive strategy is not very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I do this.

    Sometimes I talk myself up.

    Better to just shut up and lift methinks.

    ReplyDelete